The Shades Of The 50c Black and $1 Orange Admiral Stamps of Canada 1912-1928
This is the last of my detailed posts dealing with the shades of the very popular Admiral Issue of 1911-1928. The 50c value has four major listed shades in Unitrade, which are not too difficult to distinguish, while the $1 has three. However, one of the difficulties that collectors will encounter when trying to sort their stamps is the fact that there are several sub-shades within many of the major shade groups that may lead to mis-identification for those who are not familiar with the characteristics of the major shade groups.
Like all my other posts on this topic, I will show you examples of stamps from each major Unitrade listed shade group and will then cross-reference the shade names in Unitrade, with shade names from the Stanley Gibbons colour key, modified as necessary when the shades are lighter, darker, brighter, duller, paler or deeper than the Gibbons Colour Key swatches. Unfortunately, my colour key does not have very many black swatches, so most of the names that I give for the 50c shades will be my own, or will not differ from Unitrade in the case of the silver-black shade.
The 50c Black 1912-1928
Unitrade lists four major shade groups for this stamp:
- Black brown - dry printing
- Black - wet printing
- Silver black - wet printing
- Brown black - wet printing
- Brown black
- Greyish brown black
- Brown black
- Brownish grey black dry printing - Unitrade's black brown.
- Silver black
- Greyish brown black - Unitrade's brown black
- Orange for the basic dry printing
- Deep orange for the wet printing
- Brown orange for the dry printings
- Pale red orange - similar to the red orange, but a little less intense
- Pale orange - similar to orange, but less intense
- Light bright orange - similar to bright orange, but with a hint of white added to the colour.
- Brownish orange - similar to orange, but with a hint of brown.
- Brownish orange - a slightly less intense example.
- Deep dull orange - similar to dull orange, but deeper
- Red orange - dry printing
- Reddish orange - wet printing
- Brownish orange - dry printing