The Integral Booklets of the 1967-1973 Centennial Issue - Part Two
The booklets to be examined today will fall into two groups:
- The OPAL booklet, produced by the Canadian Bank Note Company in October 1970 and,
- The booklets produced by the BABNC that were comb perforated 12.5 x 12 (actually 12.4 x 11.9 according to McCann).
- The transition from dextrose gum to PVA, and different forms of PVA gum used on the panes.
- The covers were re-designed for the 25c and $1 booklets.
- A new experimental 50c booklet was produced.
- Significant differences in paper fluorescence are found on nearly all of the booklets printed by the BABNC.
- One containing a pane with dextrose gum, and wax on the inside covers.
- One containing a pane with PVA gum and wax on the inside covers.
- One containing a pane with PVA gum and no wax on the inside covers.
The back cover, showing the text printed on a slight slant, which is quite noticeable. The printing is generally fairly clear, but is not fine. It is about half way between the fine print found on the early printings of the perf. 10 booklets, and the coarse printing of the later ones. I have not seen any obvious variation in the size or spacing of the text on either the front, or back covers, but a focused study of these may turn up one or two interesting varieties.
The cover is a rough textured cream coloured card stock, which always gives a dull fluorescent, greyish cream coloured glow under UV light. The design is similar to the last booklet, except that "Canada" is now in much smaller font, and instead of the value being white on a coloured box, the value is printed in colour on a colourless box.
At this point, it is important to mention that two basic different types of bilingual back cover slogans were produced:
- One read: Free dispenser with each roll of 100 7c stamps. Sanitary/convenient. McCann refers to this as Type 1.
- The other read: Pre-stamped envelopes. A bargain, and no stamps to lick. Ask at your post office. McCann refers to this as type 2.
Examples of each of these covers are shown below:
- Free dispenser, clear seal - McCann type 1a.
- Free dispenser, black seal - McCann type 1b.
- Pre-stamped, clear seal - McCann type 2a.
- Pre-stamped, black seal - McCann type 2b.
- Large sticker on dull paper 33 mm x 19 mm.
- Large sticker on glossy paper 33 mm x 19 mm.
- Small sticker on glossy paper 28 mm x 14 mm.
- A very crackly gum, which is colourless, but appears to have a satin sheen because of the fine cracks.
- A smooth and very glossy gum that has what appear to be fine horizontal strokes in it.