Although the most ornate advertising covers made their appearance in the late Victorian period, there are some very visually appealing covers available to collect during this period. My favourites are those from hotels such as the one shown below. These hotels often had very attractive pre-printed stationery showing engraved vignettes of the hotel and in clean condition, they make a very attractive display indeed. The best part about both these types of covers is that they can still be found in large cover lots and can be bought individually for much, much less than comparable covers from the earlier period. The Art-Deco style is of course much more modern, but it is becoming ever more popular with the passage of time. So now may just be the time to acquire the better and more attractive items, as they are unlikely to remain as inexpensive as they currently are.
The 1c, 2c 3c and 5c values of this set are all known pre-cancelled. The only coil stamp known precancelled is the 1c dark green, and it is only found with one style: the three sets of parallel horizontal bars. The 5c is also only known with one style. However, the 1c can be found with 70 different styles, the 2c can be found with 29 styles and the 3c can be found with up to 7 styles. It should be pointed out that this does not mean that there are only 70 types of precancels of the 1c. In fact there are many hundreds, as one style may have been customized for different Canadian cities, so that there may be dozens or hundreds of different precancels that for just one style. Furthermore, many of the precancels are known doubled, tripled, inverted etc. The Walburn specialized catalogue of Canadian precanels gives a complete listing of all the different known types of precancels that can be found on the stamps of this issue.
- Upright, reading from left to right (shown above)
- Upright, reading from right to left.
- Inverted, reading from left to right.
- Inverted, reading from right to left.
- Sideways pointing left, reading from top to bottom.
- Sideways pointing left, reading from bottom to top.
- Sideways pointing right, reading from top to bottom.
- Sideways pointing right, reading from bottom to top.
- 1c green, 2c brown and 3c red envelopes exist in #10 and #8 sizes.
- 1c green, 2c brown and 3c red special order envelopes also exist, with the 1c envelopes existing precancelled.
- 1c green post bands and wrappers exist on both grey kraft paper and regular kraft paper as shown above.
- 1/2c blue, 1c green and 2c brown postcards exist, and can be found with up to three different inscriptions. The 1c green postcards can be found on mimeographed stock and rouletted as well.
- 1c green + 1/2c blue and 1c green + 1c green reply cards exist, each with two different sets of inscriptions.